Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Breakfast TV

Man, those guys get up EARLY. And so I had to as well.

The Calgary Magic Circle is having its annual fundraiser public show this weekend so magician colleague Yeats Wong and I managed to blag a spot on CityTV's breakfast show in Calgary this morning. I was up at 4:30am to make the drive.

At first I took the jokey on-air banter about host Andrew Schultz being a bit of a magician himself as precisely that - jokey banter - but it turns out to be true. The man is an avid hobbyist magician and has been for about 15 years, which was a nice surprise as he immediately understood how best to position ourselves and the cameras to get nice clear shots.

We were in the studio along with an Australian cover band (with a Glaswegian drummer) currently doing The Eagles at an autitorium in Calgary. Quite astonishing that they sound like Aussies and Weegies in person but Yanks on microphones. Would it be cruel of me to petition Lonely Planet travel guidebooks to inform North American visitors to Glasgow that they can overcome their difficulties in understanding the locals by insisting that their interlocutors sing their responses into a portable karaoke microphone?

Yes, that would be cruel.

But funny.

*

As Yeats and I left the studio and walked outside into the early morning air, I thought to myself, "You know, knocking off work at 9am isn't so bad at all."

Maybe those breakfast TV-types have got the right idea.

I won't be able to embed the video for my bit, but here's the link...

http://site.btcalgary.ca/video/?bcpid=5173168001&bclid=5184558001&bctid=90907402001

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive, and I am very glad I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jade. We didn't actually start our spots til 7:45am so it wasn't that bad for viewers! Much earlier and you'd only get the insomniacs and trolls watching.

    ReplyDelete